2017 New Works Contest
MULTISTAGES 2017 NEW WORKS CONTEST
We were thrilled to have received 185 submissions this year from across the globe.
Congratulations to the 40 playwrights whose work moved on to the Semi-Final round, which is currently being judged.
The Finalists will be announced in the fall, and the New Works Finalist Festival will be presented in winter 2017-18, dates TBA.
Thank you to all who submitted your new work to us. We are very impressed with the talent, creative use of multidisciplinary elements, and the multicultural stories and casting found in the submitted work. Receiving 185 submissions was exciting, and we look forward to announcing the finalists. Thank you to the judges for joining us in the discovery of new work.
ONLINE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
MultiStages, a multicultural, multidisciplinary theatre company located in New York City, is seeking original, unproduced, high quality full-length multidisciplinary plays by established and emerging writers for its eighth New Works Contest. The Contest Winner will receive a Workshop Staged Reading with professional actors or a Fully-Staged Production at a reputable theatre in New York City under an AEA approved code. The Finalists will receive a Staged Reading with professional actors in the New Works Festival.
MultiStages produces non-traditional multicultural, multidisciplinary theatre works that incorporate a fusion of art forms rarely found in today’s theatre. These fusions include collaborations with artists working in dance, music composition (including opera), visual arts, puppetry, poetry, multimedia, et al. If your play includes music, you may choose to submit with a composer. All submitted scripts must be multidisciplinary and multicultural, and respect non-traditional casting choices. All productions are subject to development by MultiStages in collaboration with the playwright.
You must Include:
- Complete Script (w/ title only) in PDF. DO NOT include your name, this is a BLIND contest.
- Script Cover Page (w/ title, author name(s), personal and/or agency contact info).
- Up-to-date Resume and Bio.
- Artistic Statement including Multidisciplinary and Multicultural Elements in the play.
- We accept Scripts by EMAIL ONLY – please email a PDF script, resume, bio, and Artistic Statement, and anything else we need to know about you to: email@example.com.
- Disciplines: If your discipline is music, visual arts, or video, you may send us a link to samples or send via dropbox or other shared server. If you need to send your discipline attachment via hard copy, submit to: Lorca Peress, Artistic Director, MultiStages, 344 West 87th Street (2R), New York, NY 10024. Include a cover note that this is the attachment to said play. Do not include any personal info on the attachments as they may be forwarded to our judges.
Deadline: Midnight, 12/31/16
No Submission Fee
Announcements: Spring 2017 – Semi-Finalists; Summer 2017 – Finalists and Winner
New Works Finalist Reading Festival (Finalists): TBS 2017 or 2018
Workshop or Production (Winner): TBS in 2018
Questions: address to Lorca Peress at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for joining the MultiStages New Works Contest, and Good Luck!
MultiStages Artistic Director